This beautiful domed building situated at
the east end of Charlotte Square faces the wide boulevard of
In 1971 the former St. George's Church was converted into
West Register House to accommodate the city's growing number
and variety of records.
Robert Adam, architect of General Register House, in the
east of Pinces Street, designed the frontages of the houses
in Charlotte Square and had included a church in his plans
drawn in 1791. However Adam's church was never built.
Robert Reid drew up new plans in 1810 and in May 1811 the
foundation stone was laid and the church was opened for worship
to the public in 1814.
In 1959 dry rot was discovered and the church, unable to
afford the growing costs of repair was forced to close in
Seven years later work began to convert the church into a
branch of the Scottish Records Office.
The exterior was left untouched but the entire interior was
removed to accommodate five floors of offices and record