(1800 – 1864)
This monument to Caithness-born novelist
and philanthropist Catherine Sinclair is located on the
corner of North Charlotte Street and St. Colme Street towards
the west of Edinburgh’s Queen Street.
This Victorian Gothic spire was designed by Edinburgh architect David
Bryce (1803 – 1876) and
built by Inverness-born architect John Rhind (1836 – 1889).
Sinclair was a noted writer of children’s
books, travel guides and romantic novels and her philanthropic
work included funding the first street fountain at the west
end of Edinburgh’s Princes Street and introducing worker’s
canteens to the city.