THE ASSEMBLY ROOMS
The construction of The Assembly Rooms began
with the laying of the foundation stone on 14th May 1783.
Just as the New Town itself the design of the new building
was decided by a competition and the winner John Henderson
collected the first prize of 25 guineas.
Halfway through contruction however, John
Henderson died and the responsibility for completing the
work fell to his father David, an accomplished mason who
had previously worked with Robert Adam on the building Register
Door were opened to the public on 11th January 1787 for the
Caledonian Hunt Ball although the work wasn't yet completed.
The Chandeliers, ceiling roses, mirrors, drapes and fluted
Corinthian pilaters were added by John Baxter with the aid
of further subscriptions in 1796.